Aston Martin sold several DB2/4 chassis to different Italian coachworks. This car was purchased by race driver Harry Schell who had it fitted with a Ghia Supersonic body. The aluminum skin is slightly taller than the Fiat Supersonic, but not quite as futuristic. The car was first shown at the Turin Motor Show in 1956.
The special one-off coachwork by Ghia was designed by Giovanni Savonuzzi and dubbed the Supersonic. As the name suggests, it was inspired by the 1950's jet craze. Unlike many of the American 'jet' designs, Savonuzzi kept the aircraft touches relatively subtle. Resembling a jet engine's afterburner, the taillights and the jet fuselage-inspired rear fenders are examples of this treatment. Ghia produced a total of 13 Supersonics for four different marques: one Alfa Romeo 1900, eight Fiat 8Vs, three Jaguar XK-120s and one Aston Martin DB2/4.
This car is the last Supersonic built. The body is constructed of aluminum over a steel framework. The original owner was the race car driver Harry Schell. Photographs of the car on the street in Spa were first published in Autosport Magazine June 15, 1956. The car was also shown on the Ghia stand at the 1956 Turin Auto Salon. In 1957 the car was in NYC and finally ended up in Detroit in the 1960s.
It was discovered in a much deteriorated state in 1974 in a gas station parking lot of all places. Eventually, the current owner acquired the car and started the restoration in his facility, Classic & Exotic Service. This seemingly gargantuan task was finished in 2011.Also photographed at :