The Rolls-Royce Twenty was introduced in 1922. It was given this name after its taxable horsepower rating. In true Rolls-Royce fashion, they were quiet, reliable, and built to very high standards. In 1929, the Twenty was replaced by the 20/25, which was then succeeded in early 1936 by the 25/30 chassis.
The Rolls-Royce 25/30 was powered by a 4.3-liter OHV six-cylinder engine that was larger in displacement than the 20/25 in which it replaced. Depending on the coachwork, the 25/30 was capable of speeds of 75 to 80 mph.
Production of the 25/30 lasted from 1936 through 1938 with 1,201 chassis produced during that time. The model was replaced in 1939 by a new small Rolls-Royce, called the Wraith. These would later become the post-WWII Silver Wraith.
This 936 Rolls-Royce 25/30hp Fixed-Head Coupe, with chassis number GMX54, is a two-passenger coupe with coachwork by James Young Ltd. Its original owner was a wealthy Englishman named Mr. Harper who purchased the car through Jack Barclay Ltd. The car was a wedding gift for his bride and would remain in the family until 1952.
The next owners were William Randolph Gooch who owned the car from 1952 to 1954. Next was Hope and Roland Dermody who kept the car until 1972. From 1972 through 2000 the car was in the possession of Lord Doune. The current owner imported the car to the United States and in the San Francisco area. In 2008, the car was offered for sale at the 'Quail Lodge, A Sale of Exceptional Motorcars and Automobilia' presented by Bonhams Auction. It was sold for $172,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.
The car has currently traveled 87,105 miles and is fitted with a trunk with two-piece luggage hand made by Ernest Smith of Smiths & Company.Also photographed at :