Maserati built racing machines. The factory campaigned cars to prove their wares and generate orders. In the 1950s, categories were simply defined by engine displacement and Maserati marketed an assortment.
This car is the first 200S, and was the factory test car for over a year. This Maserati 200SI (chassis number 2401) was used as the Maserati factory's test and development car for this series of customer race cars, strongly built, quick and powerful. This car also made the 200Si's first competitive outing at the 1955 Imola Sports Car Grand Prix. Along with another 200S entered by Parravano, it raced in the 1955 Targa Florio where it was again crashed, twice. #2401 continued to be used as the factory's development car and produced the ultimate specifications for a 200SI in 1956. The changes included an upgraded engine, five-speed gearbox, longer nose, larger brakes, FIA-spec full windscreen and folding top.
Their capability is demonstrated by the caliber of their drivers and team owners. Stirling Moss drove this car in the GP of Cuba in 1957 and it was raced again by Freddie Brandt in the GP of Cuba in 1960.
With its sleek shape the 200Si is perhaps the most charismatic and effective Maserati sports-racer ever built. These cars were campaigned by many famous drivers and team owners, such as Lance Reventlow, Carroll Shelby, Jim Hall, John Fitch and Jim Kimberley. Joel E. Finn, the Maserati fancier and historian, bought chassis 2401 in Venezuela, and it eventually found its way to Chris Drake in the United Kingdom in the early 1970s. It was then sold to Japan in 1979 where it was displayed in the Kawaguchiko Motor Museum for 22 years.Also photographed at :