Delahayes were quick, responsive, and very attractive automobiles. In 1894, Emile Delahaye began building rear-engined, belt-driven cars. By 1935, he introduced the Type 135 at the Paris Salon. The car featured an independent front suspension, light steering, and a smooth Cotal electromagnetic gearbox. By 1938, the new top-of-the-line model was introduced at the Paris salon, the MS (Modifiee Speciale). The engine was an updated version of the 3.5-liter six-cylinder unit. The powerplant had a larger cylinder head and bigger valves which improved breathing and horsepower. The result was 130 horsepower and a top speed of 110 mph.
The 1930s saw Delahaye emerge from being a manufacturer of reliable, medium capacity motor cars into the realm of the Grand Routier class, so beloved by French high society. In 1935 the Coupe des Alpes 135 model was introduced, having been named after the marque's success in that rally, and it remained in production for some fifteen years. This 135MS carries bodywork by Faget-Varnet, a small postwar French coachbuilder. Technically this vehicle is extremely advanced because Faget-Varnet pioneered monocoque construction. While not as widely recognized as many other French coachbuilders, Faget-Varnet won numerous Concours d'Elegance awards in the postwar period and this very rare survivor was itself a multiple award winner in period.Also photographed at :