Panhard et Levassor was the leading French car manufacturer from 1890 to 1900. In 1895 it won the Paris to Bordeaux race with a two-cylinder car. For the 1896 Paris-Marseilles-Paris Race, it developed this four-cylinder car, doubling the capacity and, hopefully, the speed. The car won! It was then sent to England to partake in the first Emancipation Run from London to Brighton. It was again driven successfully by M. Mayard, the works foreman. After the Run the car was sold to the Hon. C.S. Rolls for his personal transport. It was rebuilt for the 1996 Centenary London to Brighton Veteran Car Run and has been used regularly ever since. It successfully completed the Bordeaux to Paris Rally in 2007.