For 1949, the Fords were built on a 114-inch wheelbase and given a ladder frame supporting a front coil spring suspension with longitudinal semi-elliptical springs in the rear. To increase passenger legroom the engine was moved forward. The antiquated torque tube was replaced by a modern drive shaft. Power was still from either a 226 cubic-inch flathead six-cylinder or a flathead V8 displacing 239 cubic-inches. The 6-cylinder engine offered 90 horsepower while the V8 version boosted power to 100.