The Peugeot 145 S was a popular sport touring model that was produced from 1913 through 1914, with 325 examples produced. In modern times, there is only one example that remains. These were truly amazing cars from a company that remains as the oldest surviving manufacture of automobiles in France. Their history dates back to the 1880s when they became a bicycle manufacturer. Their first association with automobiles was in 1889, when family scion Armand Peugeot built a handful of three-wheeled steam carriages for Léon Serpollet. A few years later, in 1891, a four-wheeled motorcar bearing the Peugeot name emerged. It was given a Daimler-licensed gas engine as its power-source. By 1896, Peugeot was producing their own engines.
By the mid-1910s, Peugeot had become the leading French manufacturer of automobiles. They had built a reputation based on the quality automobiles and their competitive racing machines. Their twin-cam racers of 1912-1913 had been successful in French Grand Prix racing. At the third annual Indianapolis 500, a Peugeot driven by Jules Goux emerged victorious. The car had a massive 7.6-liter DOHC engine.
The Peugeot 145 S benefited from the company's racing pedigree. It was given a four-cylinder engine that displaced a rather large 4.5-liters. The engine featured pressure lubrication to its three crankshaft main bearings. Mated to the engine was a four-speed gearbox.
This vehicle is believed to be the sole remaining example of the 145 S. It is documented by Automobiles Peugeot to have left their factory at Lillie on May 30, 1914 and was sent to the New York area.
At the 1968 New York International Auto Show, the 145S was featured on the Peugeot stand. It was later driven coast-to-coast by its owner on a 6,700 mile Trans-Continental Tour.
The car was later sold to an estate in California where it was later found stored in a partially dismantled and deteriorated condition. In the mid-1990s, it was treated to a restoration by noted California restorer Allan Taylor. It was re-done in its period correct colors of aubergine and Bordeaux red with Caramel leather interior. The original fenders were recreated during the restoration.
The car retains its original wicker trunk. There are side-mounted umbrella holders crafted from the same material holds a replica 1913 umbrella fashioned from pure malacca cane. On all four corners are factory-equipment center-lock wire wheels.
The current owner has cared for this car since 1999. It was shown at several major concours d'elegances, including the Louis Vuitton Classic at Hurlingham Club in London where it received a class award.
In 2008, this Torpedo Tourer was offered for sale at the 'Quail Lodge, A Sale of Exceptional Motorcars and Automobilia' where it was sold for $172,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.Also photographed at :