Louis Delage worked for Peugeot before staring his own automobile business in January of 1905. The early years of production were assembling various parts from other suppliers. He soon branched out and by 1908 was competing in Grand Prix motor racing.
Their touring and luxury saloon cars quickly gained a reputation for their engineering and their elegance. On the racing circuit and in the capable hands of Great Britain's Dick Seaman and female driver Kay Petre, Delage racecars took overall victories at many races. In 1914, a Delage was entered in the Indianapolis 500 where it earned an overall victory. The car was driven by Rene Thomas. In 1924, a Delage set a new land speed record at 143 mph. In 1926, they won the first-ever British Grand Prix. This accomplishment was done by the French team of Louis Wagner and Robert Sénéchal in a Delage 155B.
The D8 touring car was first introduced at the 1929 Paris Motor Show. It was powered by a very large, water-cooled, overhead valve Straight-8 engine that had a pressure lubrication system and vacuum fed carburetion mated to a dry-clutch and four-speed unit gearbox. The bodies rested on various wheelbase lengths which allowed for different types of coachwork bodies.
The Delage D8-105 made its debut at the October of 1934 Paris Automobile Show. Production was limited to just two frames per month, or so were the plans. In April of 1935 the company was purchased by the famous Delahaye car company. As a result, only eight examples of the Delage D8-105 chassis were ever created. This example, chassis number 40123, was the fourth one built. It is, perhaps, the only one of the four built with the Sports specifications. Currently, it is the only such car known to exist.
When it was new, it was painted grey with a blue roof. Later in its life it was given a restoration. Its steel body with aluminum bonnet was painted in a rich Claret with beige paint scheme. The interior is beige 'tissue' seats with claret piping and matching claret carpeting.
The engine displaces 3570cc and is mated to an optional Cotal gearbox. The Sports Specification mean this engine has twin ignitions (16 spark plus) and twin Stromberg carburetors. It is capable of producing 100 bhp at 4500 RPM. Its overall weight is just 1720kg (3850lbs). In keeping with its sporty nature, the car rests on a shortened wheelbase that was reduced by 325cm. There is a low roofline, aerodynamic Delage bodywork, and an inclined radiator. There are sliding glass windows, twin rear windows and sliding door glasses.
Records indicate that this car was a factory demonstrator after being built in January/February of 1935. It was first registered in Paris as 42286RK6 on October 13th of 1936. The second owner was a Mr. Carabin of Paris who drive the car with license plate 7046 DU 75. The third owner purchased the car in 1960. The owner was Baron Petiet of Paris (brother of the President of the French Automotive Industry Chamber).
In the 1990s the car was treated to an extensive restoration in France. In 2000 it was acquired by a collector in Germany. It was shown at the 2006 Techno-Classic Trade Fare where it was awarded 'Best of Show.'
In 2008, this very rare Coupe was offered for sale at the 'Quail Lodge, A Sale of Exceptional Motorcars and Automobilia' presented by Bonhams Auction. The estimated value was between $400,000 - 500,000. Unfortunately, the lot did not sell.