This car was built in 1956 as the works prototype Mark II and originally fitted with the Ashley Laminates fiberglass body. It was tested and raced by Stuart Lewis-Evans and Archie Scott Brown amongst others.
It won first place at Brands Hatch in October 1956 when driven by Archie Scott Brown. The car featured the new DeDion rear suspension which followed testing was soon modified to the present design and used on later production MKII and MKIII models. The fiberglass body was changed for a lightweight aluminum one in 1957. The car was raced as a works car by Robbie MacKenzie-Low and Archie Scott Brown and later by other owners through out Europe with many significant wins.
In 1997 it was 'found' and bought by Elva Racing and sympathetically restored leaving the patina intact. The following year it was invited to the 1998 Goodwood Revival Meeting where it was displayed and once again driven by Robbie Mackenzie-Low. The Elva was purchased from the Bruce McCaw's Collection Redmond, WA.Also photographed at :