This 1932 Bugatti Type 46 sports Saloon (four-door) was given its coachwork by Freestone & Webb. The original owner was Victor Rothschild who took delivery in December of 1930. There are cast-aluminum wheels with integral brake drums and turbine blade cooling fan spokes. There are many interesting features to this car, such as the center-hinged doors, curved and flowing running boards, and low roof and windows.
Its ownership history includes Eric Giles, Gene Cesari, David B. Hancock, and D.F. Mallalieu. Hancokc acquired the car in December of 1959, who later sold it to Lew Gotthainer in Montclair, New Jersey. It was purchased by Dr. Peter and Susan Williamson in August of 1971. A restoration was begun and completed many years later, in the early 1980s. In 1994, a set of new alloy wheels were installed.
The car is finished in dark green with black fenders, black coachwork accents and a red coach line. There is a black covered padded roof and Saddle Brown leather interior. The Lucas King-of-the-Road headlamps have been replaced with a set of Marchal lights.
In 2008, this Type 46 Sports Saloon was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company Auction held in Pebble Beach, California. It was estimated to sell for $650,000 - $850,000 and offered without reserve. The lot was sold for $440,000, including buyer's premium.