This Bugatti Type 44 came to the United States through George Rand's New York agency. It is believed that the car's next owner was Zumbach's, the famed New York dealer of thoroughbred motorcars. It passed through several owners over the years, until it ended up in Stamford, Connecticut, in the collection of David Tunick. In 1980, the car was sold to Dr. Peter and Susan Williamson.
According to the American Bugatti Register records, the original engine was cut in half in the 1930s to create two four-cylinder engines. These engines were put into midget races by John Burgess. Since that time, a correct Type 44 engine has been sourced and installed.
The car was given a professional restoration and is now finished in maroon with brown leather upholstery and interior trim. There is a tan cloth top, red wire wheels, dual folding windshields, dual side-mounted spare wheels and tires, and rearview mirrors mounted on the spares.
It is still a mystery as to the original builder of the coachwork. Of the 1095 examples built, this is one of the few remaining still left in existence. It has a high-quality, yet older, restoration and has been in the United States since it was new.
In 2008, this Type 44 Bugatti Dual-Cowl Phaeton was offered for sale at the Gooding & Company auction held in Pebble Beach, CA. The car was estimated to sell for $200,000 - $300,000 and offered without reserve. As the gavel fell for the third and final time, the car had sold for $264,000, including buyer's premium.