This 1930 Duesenberg Model J LWB Dual Cowl Phaeton by LeBaron is chassis number 2336 and is powered by engine J487. It was delivered new as J320/2336 to a Mr. J. Clarke Dean of Chicago, Illinois in 1930. This is the only long-wheelbase version of the LeBaron sweep panel phaeton ever built. The wheelbase measures 153.5-inchs, a fitting vehicle for Mr. Dean, who it is believed was a successful Chicago brokers well as a golfer and member of Chicago's Athletic and Racquet Clubs.
The car was in the hands of gas station owner in Grand Rapids, Michigan by 1948, at which point it was discovered that its original engine had been replaced by J487. It is not known why the switch was made.
Until the 1950s, the car remained in the Midwest, with owners in Michigan, before being sold to residents in West Virginia. From there, it made its way to Maryland, first into the ownership of T.J. (Tom) Blash, who owned drive-in theaters and was involved in chemical sales. Other owners included T.J. Cramblett and William Coverdale of Waynesville, Ohio. In November of 1964, the car was acquired by Tony Pascucci of Meriden, Connecticut for $16,600. Mr. Pascucci would become a long-term caretaker, installing the crankshaft from J467 and keeping the car until March 1984. At some point in the late-1980s, the car was sold to William G. Lassiter, Jr. of West Palm Beach, Florida, who showed it at the Gilmore Duesenberg show in June 1987 and the Meadow Brook Concours d'Elegance. Later in the vehicle's life, it entered the John O'Quinn collection.
In 2012, this vehicle was offered for sale at RM Auctions sale in Scottsdale, Arizona. It was estimated to sell for $900,000-$1,200,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $880,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.