This car left the factory on June 14th of 1958, and, along with several other AC cars, was shipped to BC Sports Cars in Alberta, Canada. The car spent its entire life in British Columbia until the current owner purchased it and brought it tot he United States in 2007. Only 28 AC-engined Acecas were built in 1958, and only 151 for all years of production. Acecas are rarely seen in the United states. A sympathetic restoration was performed to retain originality where possible. The car ahs the bullet-proof AC engine, along with the Moss four-speed gearbox. The car retains its original dash wood, seat covers, radio, sun shades, steering wheel, seat belts, and five of the correct 56-spoke sixteen-inch wheels, among other items. Reflecting its Canadian heritage, the car is fitted with the exceedingly rare electric carburetor warmers.
The British AC Cars Company was founded in 1904 as Autocarriers, Ltd. Their Aceca closed coupe model was produced from 1954 until 1963. Originally, they were fitted with an AC engine but the similar Bristol-engined Aceca-Brisol was also available alongside the original from 156 to 1963 when production of the AC engine ceased.
The Aceca was based on the open two-seat AC Ace. They were a hand-built GT car in the typical British tradition, with ash wood and steel tubing used in its construction. A notable feature was the hatchback at the rear, making the Aceca only the second car, after the 1954 Aston Martin DB2/4, to incorporate this element. Only 151 Acecas, 169 Aceca-Bristols and 8 Ford-engined models were built when production halted in 1963. The Aceca engine was an overhead camshaft straight-6 displacing 1991cc, and produced 90 horsepower.
The front-end styling of the Ace and Aceca reportedly traces back to a design done by Pinin Farina for AC in the late 1940s. The car has exceptionally light weight owing to a tubular frame, aluminum engine block and aluminum body panels. Large 16-inch spoked road wheels and almost perfect fore/aft weight distribution allowed exceptional handling on loose dirt tracks. It also features front-wheel disc brakes (added in 1957), transverse 'de Dion' leaf rear suspension, articulated rear half-axles, worm-gear steering, an optional overdrive, curved windshield and leather covered bucket seats. The suspension is independent at the front and rear using transverse leaf springs.Also photographed at :