After World War I, T.G. John began to produce and sell mechanical parts such as stationary engines, carburetor bodies and motor scooters. He was soon approached by Geoffrey deFreville with a design for an aluminum four-cylinder engine. The result of the design was the 10/30 Model which soon secured a solid reputation for its quality and performance. In 1921, the company changed the name to the Alvis Car and Engineering Company Ltd.
During World War II, the Alvis plant sustained heavy damage. Car production resumed in 1946 with a four-cylinder model called the TA14 saloon. It was based on the pre-war 12/70 model.
In the post War era, many manufacturers struggled, especially the specialist car manufacturers without their own body building capability. This was true for Alvis, which became part of Rover in 1965 and they manufacture military vehicles today.
The TB14 was built using the running gear of the TA14 saloon and was only produced in 1950. AP Metalcraft built the body to fit on the TA14 chassis. It features heavily cut away door tops on the rear hinged doors and very long sweeping front wings and a fold down windscreen. Power is from a 1.9-liter engine fitted with twin SU carburetors offering nearly 70 horsepower. The suspension is comprised of non-independent leaf springs at all four corners.
The TB14 made its debut at the Earl's Court Motor Show in 1950. Sales were low, with only 125 examples produced. It is believed that only 17 examples remain in modern time.
'Flamboyant' is the only word for this British sports car. Described in its time (not by the manufacturer) as a 'gentleman's car used to impress one's mistress,' amenities included a liquor cabinet built into the passenger door. Featuring a four-cylinder Alvis engine, the car has an aluminum and steel body with forward opening 'suicide' doors. The cost when new was 1,275 British pounds sterling. Due to its high cost, more examples were sold in Europe, Australia, Hong Kong, Peru and Pakistan.Also photographed at :