Maserati 450S (built 1956-1958) were nine racing cars made by Maserati of Italy, and used in endurance World Sportscar Championship racing. Their design started in 1954 (thus the internal designation Tipo 54) led by Alberto Bellentani and Guido Taddeucci. Their intent was to use larger engines than those then used by Maserati.
The 450S was probably the fastest Maserati sports car ever made. Built to challenge V12-equipped Ferrari sports-racing cars, the Maserati 450S bore a front-mounted 4.5-liter V8 engine capable of rocketing the car from a standing start to 100 mph in 11 seconds. The lightly modified 300S chassis originally provided was not adequate to harness the phenomenal performance of the engine, so a new tubular chassis was built. The 450S won the Sebring Twelve Hours and the Swedish Grand Prix, but had to retire from other races because of mechanical problems. Both works cars crashed in the final 1957 event, the Venezuelan Grand Prix. When a three-liter engine displacement limit was imposed for the 1958 season, Maserati withdrew from motor racing.
This car, chassis number 4503, was driven by Juan Manuel Fangio and Jean Behra and won the 12 Hours of Sebring. It was then crashed by Jean Behra during practice for the Mille Miglia and didn't start the race. Repaired it was again crashed by Behra at the Le Mans 24 Hours before it won again in the hands of Behra and Stirling Moss in the Swedish Sports Car Grand Prix. In the final race of the 1957 season the Venezuelan Sports Car Grand Prix it was destroyed before being later rebuilt.Also photographed at :