Charles E.J. Lang was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1958 and was the son of a wealthy family that had extensive real estate holdings in the Lakewood suburb of Cleveland. He received training as a bookkeeper and was later hired by Charles Rauch in 1878. His skills as a bookkeeper and his family fortune soon proved invaluable to the firm, becoming a partner in 1884. The resulting firm was capitalized with $75,000 and incorporated as the Rauch and Lang Carriage Company. Within a short period of time, the company had grown a reputation for producing the world's finest electric automobiles that were widely used by aristocratic wives of the wealthy. They were easy to operate, quiet, and smooth.
By 1912, nearly all Rauch & Lang electric vehicles were closed cars, offering the drivers a weatherproof experience. In October of 1913, Rauch & Lang announced the introduction of a new drive principle - the bevel gear transmission. Around the same time they also introduced the dual control coach, a five-passenger, $3,200 electric sedan that could be driven from either the front seat, the rear seat, or both. There was a safety switch that would deactivate the forward controls if the revolving front seat was in any position other than forward.
Production was strong and steady for many years. This was not to last, as electric cars continued to advance and become more reliable and easier to operate. The Rauch & Lang Company would cease production of their pricey automobiles following 1925.
This 1914 Rauch & Lang Electric Roadster was purchased new by a wealthy family that lived just outside New York City. It was used only on special occasions until 1922 when it was put up on blocks in the family's carriage house. It was then discovered by Henry Austin Clark in 1952 and he purchased it for his Long Island Automobile Museum. It was on display until 1956 when it was sold to a new owner in Maryland, who restored the car in 1962.
The current owner purchased the car in 2008. It is the only known 1914 Rauch & Lang Roadster known to exist. It made its debut at the 2009 Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance.
Between 1912 through 1920 there were less than 50 roadsters produced by Rauch & Lang, making this survivor even more special. This vehicle is powered by an 80-volt electric motor and a cache of rechargeable batteries - the Rauch & Lang is virtually silent. The only noise generated is the sound of the tires rolling over the road.
There is a Waltham clock, vanity case, five brass electric lights, and a dash-mounted jump seat. The upholstery is finished in tan fine wool broadcloth with the exterior is ebony black with gold pin-striping.
In 2009, this Model R Electric Roadster was offered for sale at the Houston Classic Auction in Seabrook, Texas presented by Worldwide Auctioneers. The lot was estimated to sell for $90,000 - $120,000.Also photographed at :