The Railton was introduced in 1933 and in 1939 the company was acquired by Hudson. Production was soon stopped with the onset of the war. The early cars were powered by a 4.0-liter 8-cylinder engine and given light-weight British bodies. All were equipped with coachbuilt bodies since Railton had no body building capability.
This example is one of two Railton factory entries in the 1934 Alpine Trails, where it scored a perfect 1,000 points and was awarded the winner's cup. The body was built by Berkeley, one of several to supply bodies to Railton.