The Dodge brothers, Horace and John, produced steam engine parts in Detroit in the late 1900s. They created automobile parts for many of Detroit's fledgling automobile manufactures, including Henry Ford who was one of their larger customers. As partial payment for supplying parts, the Dodge Brothers agreed to become major stockholders in the Ford company. From 1903 until 1913, the company supplied the bulk of Ford's engine and chassis parts. In 1913, they were bout out and received several million dollars.
In 1914, the Dodge Brothers began building their own cars. With appropriate funds, they were able to design and build a very popular and reliable automobile that were price more than the Ford Model T but less than other competitor's vehicles. Sadly, both brothers died during 1920 and in 1928 the company was purchased by the Chrysler Corporation and the vehicle was renamed Dodge in 1930.
Most of the Dodge Brother automobiles were open touring cars or roadsters. This example is a rare Enclosed Coach was one of the first bodies built for Dodge by the Budd Company in Detroit. Most of the Enclosed Coach vehicles (Sedans) were constructed with wood frames. This example is constructed with a welded-steel inner structure.