Horace and John Dodge founded a precision machining company in Detroit in 1900 and quickly found work producing engine and chassis components for Olds Motor Vehicle and Ford Motor Company among others. They were very successful and built a strong reputation for quality. So not surprisingly their decision in 1914 to introduce their first Dodge car, the Model 30, complete with the industry's first all-steel body, 12-volt electrical system and a sliding gear transmission, met with much success. By 1916 they were second in U.S. sales.
With the tragic death of both brothers in 1920, the company passed into the control of investment bankers and was then acquired by Chrysler in 1928. In addition to building complete cars, Dodge also sold chassis with an engine, cowl and fenders for use by custom body builders.
This car is the only example of this style of speedster in existence and its early ownership is unknown. It is equipped with an early 1920s Roots-type supercharger with a pressurized fuel system and auxiliary oil tank. It was discovered as a 'basket case', but complete with the supercharger and gauges.
This car is believed by Dodge experts to be a custom-built speedster rather than a re-bodied car. While the chassis and engine were manufactured in 1920, the car has parts produced as late as 1925. It may have been built by a dodge Brothers dealer as a promotional car.
The car has been carefully restored to its original yellow hue and authentic brass trim.Also photographed at :