When the Nash-Kelvinator and Hudson Motor Car companies merged in 1954, the result was the American Motors Corporation. Their purpose was to gain economies of scale and to more effectively compete with the dominant Big Three automakers.
Hudson had a history that dated back to 1909 when it was formed by the Detroit department store magnate, J.L. Hudson and Roy D. Chapin. Nash Motors was founded in 1916 by former General Motors president Charles W. Nash who had acquired the Thomas B. Jeffery Company.
Just like many brands in the late 1960s and early 1970s, AMC aggressively participated in the muscle and pony car scenes. The original AMX was a two seat high-performance sports sedan that was produced from 1968 to 1971. It was intended to go head-to-head with America's only other two-seater of the era, the Chevrolet Corvette. The AMX name originated from the 'American Motors eXperimental' code used on two prototypes shown on the company's 'Project IV' tour in 1966. Also introduced in 1968, the AMC Javelin was designed to compete with the Ford Mustang and the Chevrolet Camaro.
All AMXs were identified with a glove box-mounted metal plate etched with a sequential identification number. This car has been restored by the current owner.