When Bill Flajole was in high school, he began his path as an independent designer by working at Chrysler in 1933. Other influential automakers where Flajole worked at during his career included Ford, General Motors, and the Murray Corporation. While at Ford, he worked with Bob Gregorie on the design of Edsel Ford's original Continental.
In 1939, Flajole established his own shop with John Kehrig. Kehrig was a skilled fabricator who had worked with Frank Spring at Hudson.
The Flajole-Kehrig Company was a design-build shop that undertook subcontract projects for Chrysler, Ford, GM, Nash and Murray. Their list of projects included the Nash NXI prototype, which was a two-seat sportster based on a Fiat 500 Topolino. The NXI concept led to the Nash Metropolitan, which would be influential in design of the Forerunner Prototype.
When World War II came to a close, Bill Flajole established an independent design consultancy. The company designed a variety of designs focusing on functional objects in streamlined forms including toys, packaging, boats, appliances and even homes. The company also made contributions to the automobile industry.
In 1953, Flajole purchased a second XK120 fitted with the M speciation. The car had the performance cams, dual exhausts, and a 180 horsepower 3.4-liter engine. The car would later become the basis for his own futuristic two-seat sports car.
A full size clay model was created with tall fenders, dropped hood, wide grille integrated with bumpers and an retractable roof that slid down to hide under a sloping fastback rear deck. The prototype car was given a Fiberglas body.
The work was completed in 1955 and featured a translucent Plexiglas roof panel and recessed cove panels behind the wheels. This marked the first time a car used coves, before Chevrolet applied them to 1956 and subsequent Corvettes.
The car received attention from Motor Trend, Road & Track and Sports Car Illustrated. It was later used by Flajole for personal transportation until the early 170s. Since then, the car has been given a show quality restoration. It is painted in metallic purple with white coves. Inside, there is matching white/purple leather upholstery.
The car was later owned by Jeff and Sara Tamayo who donated it to the Blackhawk Automotive Museum. In 1998 it was acquired by Sidney Craig.
In 2009, this historically important vehicle was offered for sale by Bonhams Auction at the Quail Lodge Resort and Golf Club in Carmel, CA. It was estimated to sell for $150,000 - $200,000. As bidding came to a close, the lot was sold for the sum of $188,500 inclusive of Buyer's Premium.Also photographed at :