The Mark 1 was the first ELVA intended for sale to private owners. The ELVA factory raced previous prototypes up to 1955. The Mark 1 has a complete Triumph front end and is differentiated from the later model, Mark 1B, which has an ELVA custom fabricated front suspension.
This car, chassis number RBE-338-EEC, is estimated by the ELVA registry to be one of the first 10 chassis built. It was originally built and delivered as a rolling chassis and fitted with a 1.5-liter Maserati engine. It was registered in the United Kingdom in 1956 as a 'Maserati Special,' but the engine was lost during the first race and was returned to the ELVA factory in 1956. They decided to use the cheaper, but lighter FWA Coventry Climax engine, which remains in the car to this day.
The car was raced and hill-climbed in the United Kingdom from 1956 through the late 1980's, when it then came to the United States. The car was restored in the early 1990's and then vintage raced with SCVRA and VARA events on the east coast. The car was parked from 1998 to 2008. The car was purchased by its current owners in June of 2008 and have raced it in various West Coast vintage events since that time. It is seen here at the 2009 Monterey Historic Races at Laguna Seca raceway.Also photographed at :