Stutz, named for its founder, Henry Stutz, was a company with a strong engineering background - beginning with initial success at Indianapolis in 1911 that earned the company a reputation as 'the car that made good in a day.' Along with Duesenberg, Stutz maintained a racing presence. The last Stutz was manufactured in 1934 after a total of only 35,000 cars were produced in the company's 25-year history.
During the early 1930s, America's luxury brands launched into a cylinder war offering engines up to 16 cylinders. Stutz was in a weak financial position and unable to develop such an engine so it upgraded its straight eight-cylinder engine with an overhead cam and 16 valve dual ignition. It was named SV-16 recognizing the number of valves and giving the illusion of the multi-cylinder cars. The engine displaced 322 cubic-inches and developed 133 horsepower. The car cost $3,250 in 1932 and only 120 were sold.
This convertible coupe with coachwork by LeBaron was originally a sedan and was used as a logging vehicle in northern Minnesota, after its life as a passenger car. A restoration was started in the early 1980s and the rotted sedan body was discarded. After purchased the car in 2001, the current owner purchased a Stutz with an original convertible coupe body and the restoration commenced. Sparing no expense, a lot of research went into determining what was correct and what had to be reversed to restore the car to an original 1932 Stutz SV-16 convertible coupe. Original parts were used when available. With the help and support of the Stutz Club and every known Stutz expert, the car is as authentic as can be determined many years later.Also photographed at :