The Duesenberg Model A featured a race-bred overhead cam eight-cylinder engine and four-wheel hydraulic brakes. These advancements far outshone other passenger cars of the era.
The overhead cam engine initially displaced 183 cubic-inches to fit the Indy formula. This was larger enlarged to 260 cubic-inches for the production car, which debuted in November of 1920 at New York's Hotel Commodore. The car on display had a polished aluminum body and wore no paint - it was displayed that way because there had been no time to paint it.
Production was slow to start, as there were initial start-up problems. Once those were resolved, another issue arose - a cash flow problem, for the company was undercapitalized. The company's salvation came at the hands of Errett Lobban Cord, who purchased the business in 1926.
Despite the cash-flow issue, Duesenberg managed to build more than 500 examples of the Model A. Bodies were built by many of the traditional coachbuilders of the era, such as Fleetwood and Brunn, although a few sedan and phaeton styles were supplied in quantity by Millspaugh & Irish of Indianapolis.
This Duesenberg Model A Dual Windshield Phaeton was acquired by Mr. John O'Quinn from the Sterling McCall Old Car Museum Foundation in 2006. it was previously in the Jerry J. Moore Collection from the early 1980s.
The car is finished in shades of brown and it wears an older restoration and shows minor cosmetic issues. The odometer indicates the mileage is under 22,000. It is equipped with dual side-mounts, and it has wide whitewall tires and Pilot Ray driving lights.
In 2011, the car was offered for sale at RM Auction's Arizona sale where it was estimated to sell for $120,000 - $160,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $275,000, inclusive of buyer's premium.Also photographed at :