Race car driver Louis Chevrolet and the founder of General Motors, William C. Durant founded Chevrolet. In 1910, Durant was forced out of GM and he wanted to use Chevrolet's designs to rebuild his own reputation. By 1916, Chevrolet had become profitable enough to allow Durant to buy a majority share in GM, thus regaining his position as president of GM. Chevrolet was merged into GM, becoming a separate division.
The Chevrolet 'Light Six' Series L was introduced in 1914, the same year that the famous Chevrolet 'Bow Tie' emblem was put into use. The Series L was given a Sterling L-head engine with six-cylinders and 35 horsepower. The wheelbase measured 112-inches and sold for $1,475. The cars had a 'platform' type rear suspension, 26-inch wheels, and a four-door Touring bodystyle. The production run of the Series L lasted from 1914 through 1915, with fewer than 1,000 examples produced.
The owner of this car actively searched for years using original sales brochures to find this car. It was found in Massachusetts in 1984. The owner is a Chevrolet collector who has been collecting for over fifty years and this is the only Light Six he has found - it may even be the only example left in existence. The owner restored the car himself over many years, painting it to match the shade of blue used in the first year Chevy 'bow tie.'