Peerless Motor Company began building motorcars in 1900; along with Packard and Pierce-Arrow it was known as one of the 'Three P's of Motordom.' They began as a producer of clothes ringers; later turning to bicycles in the 1890s. In 1901, they launched a single-cylinder car, followed by a significantly advanced two-cylinder model in 1902 (with shaft-drive and side-entrance bodies). By 1903, a 24 horsepower and 34 horsepower four-cylinder car arrived. A six was introduced in 1907.
Following Cadillac's lead, the firm standardized self-staring in 1913 and became a one-engine company offering only V-8s by 1915. In 1912 General Electric Corporation secured control of the company, and thereafter, electric lights and electric starters were standard on all models. With the introduction of the electric starter, Peerless was able to increase the size of its six cylinder engines.
This six cylinder, 48 horsepower Town Car would have sold for around $7,000 in 1913. C.P. Kimball & Co. of Chicago built this large and luxurious town car body. The Kimball family had started a wheelwright and carriage business in 1634, and nine generations of the family had been involved in the trade before the company folded in 1929. Kimball is therefore considered to be America's first coachbuilder.
This vehicle was sold to its current owner by noted collector Barnie Pollard. It was restored to its as-built colors while its upholstery was remade to replicate original patterns. Power is from a 560 cubic-inch six-cylinder engine offering nearly 50 horsepower.Also photographed at :