In 1933, there were 1,099 Packard Eights built in the 1002 Series in 13 different body styles. Total Packard production for 1933 reached 4,800 vehicles. The Series 1002 was the lowest production year for Packard since 1916. Nevertheless, the company managed to make a $500,000 profit on the series. This was notable since many other manufacturers were being forced into bankruptcy in the 1930's.
Packard's tenth series had many automotive firsts. Among these were skirted front fenders, downdraft carburetors, automatic choke and an engine entirely anchored in rubber. Standard equipment included a 19 point self-lubricating chassis, adjustable brakes and shock absorbers, three position headlights and dual taillights.
This motorcar was the 10th 1002 Dietrich Convertible Victoria built. It was shipped to Goldner Brothers, a Packard dealership in Germantown, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Philadelphia and sold on June 6th of 1933. Collectibles found in the car indicate it made a number of trips up and down the east coast from Pennsylvania to Florida. In the 1970s it was purchased from a Port Washington, New York used car lot. The new owners made many trips between their summer home in Blue Hill, Maine and winter home in Savannah, Georgia. In the 1980s, it was donated to the ACD Museum and remained there until 1998 when its new home became Okemos, Michigan. The current owners purchased the car in 1999. Miles and age required a complete body-off restoration, which was started in 2004 and completed in 2011. It is painted in Packard's standard paint scheme A: Chatillon Grey.Also photographed at :