The Stoddard-Dayton Company produced automobiles from 1905 through 1913. The Dayton Ohio based company was formed by John W. Stoddard and his Son Charles G. Stoddard. John had made his fortune in the agricultural business but by 1904 he decided to move into the ever evolving automobile manufacturing business. Charles was sent to Europe to learn their techniques, designs, and production methods. He returned to America convinced that the gasoline combustion engine was the choice of the future and that the steam and electric vehicles were on the verge of becoming obsolete.
The early Stoddard-Dayton cars were outfitted with Rutenber engines. The Rutenber Motor Company was based in Chicago, Illinois and produced four-cylinder engines that had been designed by Edwin Rutenber. His first engine was a single-cylinder version introduced around 1892. A four-cylinder version was created by 1898.
In 1902 the Rutenber Company was relocated to Logansport. The Auburn Company also outfitted their cars with Rutenber engines until 1923.
By 1907 the Stoddard-Dayton vehicles were being powered by modern six-cylinder engines. This amplified the companies' position of creating quality cars with powerful engines. The entry level vehicles were given 15 to 18 coast of paint while the limousine models featured nearly 30 coast of paint. Each coat of paint was meticulously hand sanded. After the painting process and the car were complete, the cars were driven 150 to 400 miles to verify quality. After this the engines were disassembled and they were re-cleaned and inspected. Then it was re-assembled and another road-test ensued.
The cars were not only top-quality machines; they were also very potent on the race track. The company proudly advertised their many successful sprint races, hill climbs, dir track races, and other sporting accomplishments. In 1909 a Stoddard-Dayton won the first race held at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway after averaging 57.31 mph. In 1911 the first pace car ever for the Indianapolis 500 was a Stoddard-Dayton.
To offer a wider assortment of vehicles, the Courier Car Company was formed in 1909 by Stoddard-Dayton. Their lines of vehicles were smaller and lower-priced versions of their Stoddard-Dayton siblings.
During the early 1910's the Stoddard-Dayton merged with the United States Motor Company. In 1908 the International Motor Company was formed and later renamed to the United States Motor Company in 1910. The company's existence was due to Benjamin Briscoe. The company represented multiple manufacturers, a total of 11 in 1910 including Maxwell, Courier Car Company, Columbia, Stoddard-Dayton, Alden Sampson Trucks, Gray Marine, Brush Motor Car Company and others. Their goal was to help provide and find financial support for small and struggling independent automotive manufacturing companies.
By 1912 the United States Motor Company had entered into receivership and by 1913 they were bankrupt. This was also the demise of the Stoddard-Dayton manufacturing company. The Stoddard-Dayton had failed to compete with the low priced, high quality, mass-produced manufacturers such as Ford and General Motors.
The Maxwell Company purchased the assets of the bankrupt Stoddard-Dayton Company and continued to offer the Stoddard-Dayton models 30, 38 and 48 in 1913. Maxwell was later reorganized and became part of the Chrysler Corporation.
This Touring Car This Model 48 features a Model 11C five-passenger roadster body with a 'coal-scuttle' hood and the absence of front doors. The engine is an overhead-valve four-cylinder unit that produces 48 horsepower. The valve-in-head (OHV) powerplant was considered a masterpiece of advanced engineering. Many marques of the day preferred to the T-head design, but the Stoddard-Dayton unit with its hemispherical combustion chambers was much more advanced. The valves were inclined at 45-degrees, providing efficient breathing and combustion. Pressure lubrication, provided by a camshaft-driven oil pump, greatly enhanced reliability.
This example was given a professional restoration in the late 1970s. In the 1980s, Mr. Baldwin sold the car to Ed Rowan of New Jersey, who took it to Pebble Beach and won an award. It earned an AACA Junior First Prize Award in 1989. The current owner acquired the car in 2008 and commissioned a restoration on the brass areas. It achieved Best in Class in the 2008 Cincinnati Concours d'Elegance in Ault Park.
In 2010, the car was offered for sale at the Vintage Motor Cars of Hershey auction presented by RM Auctions. The car was estimated to sell for $200,000 - $250,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $173,250 including buyer's premium.Also photographed at :
Stoddard Dayton Motorcar Company produced high quality motorcars with large horsepower engines from 1905-1913. In 1909, a two-seater Stoddard-Dayton won the first race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, averaging 57.3 mph. The first pace car ever was a Stoddard-Dayton to start the Indianapolis 500 in 1911. The Model 48, presented here, was one of the most advanced cars in the world under the hood. Fitted with a massive four-cylinder overhead valve motor, dual ignition, dual cam, hemispherical head with the valves set at 45-degress, it produced in excess of 50 horsepower. This incredibly rare Model 48 5-passenger Roadster is one of only four surviving Model 48s. Restored in the late 1970s, it has been toured all over the United States.