This 1970 Fiat 500L is a left-hand drive example with just 38,200 kilometers and a folding sunroof.
The Fiat 500 was introduced in 1957 and it was even smaller than its predecessor, the Topolino. The 500 was designed by Dante Giacosa and featured an air-cooled rear-engine design. The powerplant was a 479cc two-cylinder unit that was later upgraded to 499.5cc.
Production of the Cinquecento would last for 18 years and remain virtually unchanged. Importation to the USA continued through 1961. In 1965, the 'F' variant arrived with several changes, including front-hinged doors, a slight power increase and other detail updates, mainly to the driveline and the heater. In mid-1968, the 'L' or Lusso (Deluxe) model was introduced. Though there were no mechanical changes, this upscale model featured radial-ply tires, revised hubcaps, modernized speedometers, two-spoke steering wheel, and additional brightwork. Other changes included additional storage pockets, revised door handles and switchgear, reclining front seats and full carpeting.
In 2010, the car was offered for sale at the Vintage Motor Cars of Hershey auction presented by RM Auctions. The car was estimated to sell for $20,000 - $30,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $15,400 including buyer's premium.