Despite claims of having a zero-to-sixty mph in just 30 seconds (making it one of the fastest passenger cars in its day), the Packard Six was never sold as a performance car. Packard proved this in unquestionable terms in June 1914 with a model 3-38 recording 26 laps at the Indianapolis Speedway in one hour at an average speed of 62.4 mph, and doing the last two laps at more than 67 mph. Such engineering was expensive, with the base 3-38 roadster starting at $3,750.
For 1915, an extensive electric light package became standard, which included headlights, auxiliary headlights, side lamps, taillights, and speedometer and clock lamps. All of the wiring, including that in the chassis and body, was enclosed in flexible metal conduit for protection against weather and wear.
Until recently, this car had been in the possession of its previous owner since the late 1920s. It is believed to have had one repaint of the main body since that time, most likely from black to blue. It retains its original leather upholstery and side curtains, and is complete with a mother-in-law seat that resides within the spare wheel carrier compartment. The only other known 1915 Packard like this resides in the estate collection of late legendary racer Phil Hill.