Samuel Pomeroy Colt took possession of this Mercedes in Paris in June of 1912. After taking ownership, the car was used on a European tour. The car had been properly prepared for the drive, and was fitted with a hill-holder, exhaust cutout, tools and instruments. It wore seven-passenger touring coachwork by Parisian coachbuilder Vanvooren.
After the tour, the car was left behind in France when the family returned home, to be used on future visits. In 1914, Col. Colt returned to Europe, but his trip was cut short due to the outbreak of war. The car was requisitioned by the French Army for staff use. After the war, the car returned to Vanvooren for refurbishment, then sent to America for use at the Colt family residence in Rhode Island.
The Mercedes would remain in the Colt family until 1937. It was purchased by Ralph Kinder, a local florist. Kinder sold it to Ralph Pewsey. After Pewsey's death, it was acquired by Webster Knight II. After Knight's passing in 1967, it was purchased by Ohio collector B. Scott Isquick, and while in his possession, the car was involved in a fire in the early 1970s. Dale Adams performed a restoration on the car, spending some 12,000 hours to bring it back to its original condition.
The car later became part of the Otis Chandler collection in California, before being acquired by the late Mr. John O'Quinn at the Chandler auction in 2006.
This car has a 138.7-inch chassis, four-speed manual transmission, and a T-head four-cylinder engine that displaces 9,852cc.
In 2010, this car was offered for sale at the 'Sports & Classics of Monterey' presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $500,000 - $600,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $495,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.