The Lincoln Motor Company was founded in 1917 by Henry Leland. He was an ambitious entrepreneur who had previously started the Cadillac Motor Car Company in 1903 from the remnants of Henry Ford's second failed attempt to start an auto company (Henry's third attempt resulted in the Ford Motor Company we know today).
The Lincoln's built by Leland were very expensive and well-built, but stodgy in design. The Ford Motor Company acquired Lincoln in 1922. Edsel Ford, Henry's son, was put in charge and used his natural design instincts to lead Lincoln to build beautiful, luxurious cars. With Ford's backing during the lingering depression, Lincoln was able to continue its focus on the luxury market.
The Cosmopolitan was the last Lincoln designed by E.T. Gregorie and influenced by Edsel Ford before his death in 1943. It was a full-size sedan introduced in 1949 and continued into the early 1950s. The Cosmopolitan featured a Hydra-Matic transmission and a 331 cubic-inch V8 engine. It had an 'aerodynamic' hood ornament and suicide doors that opened from the B-pillar.
This car is one of 1,427 Cosmopolitan coupes built in 1951 and was purchased by the current owner in 1987 in Spokane, WA. It is equipped with standard hydraulic power windows and seats. Its restoration was completed in 1998.