The Midland automobile was produced in Moline, Illinois, under the leadership of Charles Pope and the Deere family. Mr. Pope incorporated the Midland Motor Car Company when he took over the factory of the Deere-Clark Motor Car Company which was faced with bankruptcy in 1907. In 1913, after just five years of existence, the Midland Company also lost its financial footing. The result of such a short period of production is that fewer than 10 Midlands are known to exist today. Of those, this particular automobile is even more exclusive as it is believed to be one of only two Model L Midlands known to exist, the other being a touring car.
Midland provided this Model L-1 with exceptionally progressive engineering, featuring an integrated engine-clutch and transmission unit with selective shift. The entire driveline from the engine to the differential is fully enclosed with a tapered torque tube and an enclosed sphere for the universal joint. This design by Midland and built by Timken precedes the famous Henry Royce design by two years and features four-inch wide brake drums.
This Midland was restored in 1958 by Wilkinson & Sharp, one of the premier restorers in the early days. The owner at the time was Steve Pitcairn, the father of the 'Autogyro,' the predecessor to the helicopter.
The engine is a 40 horsepower T-head with two-inch valves and Bosch dual ignition.Also photographed at :