The Wraith, sometimes described as the quietest Rolls ever built, was the replacement for the 25/30 and the final and most modern junior Rolls-Royce prior to WWII. With a four-inch longer wheelbase than its predecessor and a chassis with much in common with the larger Phantom III, the Wraith featured a new independent front suspension with enclosed coil springs on a solid axle; aft were the same semi-elliptic springs on a solid axle with servo-assisted mechanical brakes. Production however, came to a halt with the outbreak of WWII, after just 491 chassis were built. Rolls-Royce became the producer of Merlin aircraft engines for the British Royal Air Force Spitfires and other fighter aircraft.
This Rolls-Royce Wraith is a one-off by coachbuilder H.J. Mulliner of London and was built for the Earls Court Motor Show and the Paris Auto Salon of 1939. However, due to the outbreak of war, both events were cancelled. The car was sold to Rolls-Royce London distributor, Jack Barclay, Ltd. who owned it until 1948, when it was sold to a Mr. A. Jones. It is an 'all-weather' four-door cabriolet with a disappearing top and dual divided wind-shields. The chassis is welded rather than traditional riveted construction, and is equipped with governor-controlled hydraulic dampers that vary with the speed of the vehicle. The Wraith is among the rarest of Rolls-Royce's prewar vehicles.