From April of 1931, De Vaux-Hall Motors produced the 6/75 automobile based on the Durant automobile and powered by a six-cylinder engine developed by Col. Elbert J. Hall. In 1932, the De Vaux-Hall company went bankrupt owing Continental Motor Company $500,000 for engines built under the Hall name. Even though Continental supplied engines to other manufacturers, they had not built a car of their own. A decision was made to build out the remaining de Vaux/Hayes bodies with their own 'Red Seal' engines.
In 1933, Continental produced a Saknoffsky designed, all-steel body built by Hayes Body. The Flyer, featuring a 107 inch wheelbase and a 65 horsepower engine, was their mid-priced model made to compete with Ford and Chevrolet. Directed through gas and service stations, 4,500 were sold worldwide.
The model designation for the Continental were Flyer, Ace and Beacon. For 1933, Continental produced 3310 cars. The Flyer was available as a roadster, commercial coupe, two- and four-door sedan. Pricing ranged from $450 - $540.
For 1934, with the world suffering from the Great Depression, and with slow sales, Continental only produced the four-cylinder Beacon. After 1934, the company returned to its tried-and-true foundation of supplying engines to the few companies who had managed to survive the Great Depression.
The original owner of this car purchased it in 1933, and sold it 33 years later with 33,000 miles on it. The second owner painted it the original color and much of the interior was done with OEM material around this time. It has the original cable Steedraulic brakes but is mechanically roadworthy. The car has 50,000 miles on it, having only 17,000 miles put on it in the last 44 years. It has not been restored, as it is a survivor.Also photographed at :