The Reliant Company was started in 1934 by Thomas Williams to produce a line of 3-wheeled vehicles in England. They started producing a sports car, the Sabre, in 1961. Reliant ceased production in 1965.
The Reliant Scimitar was introduced in 1964 as a coupe powered by a 2.6 liter Ford inline six-cylinder engine. The Scimitar GTS was a one-off estate car designed for the 1965 London Auto Show by Ogle Design featuring new glass technology (GTS: Glazing Test Special) including a heated windshield, full adhesive glazing and a ferrous oxide content to reduce solar heat gain. The design eventually went into production in 1968 as the Scimitar GTE. It was the first car to combine a sporty look with an estate or wagon package and included some new features that later became common including split folding rear seats, and rear window wipers.
The owner of this vehicle worked for the Ogle Design firm and was responsible for the design of this car. It was owned by Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh from 1966 to 1968 and was used as the course car in the 1969 British Grand Prix. It was displayed in the National Motor Museum from 1973 to 1988 and again in 1992-3.