Prior to the Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft merger with Benz in 1926, it was an independent company producing many models including the 1912 4-cylinder 35/40. Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft realized in June of 1902 that they had conceded their Daimler trademark to Panhard & Levassor for the whole of France and as a result, they decided to name all their cars Mercedes. The great demand for the car soon had Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft operating at full-capacity. The cars were called Mercedes after race car driver Emil Jellnek's 10 year old daughter.
The cars continued to be successfully developed and began to be sold world-wide. They were available with both right hand and left hand drive as needed. The three pointed star had not yet become their trademark.
The Targa Florio was traditionally dominated by Italians but in 1922, 7 of the 46 cars were Mercedes. Four prototypes nicknamed 'Sascha' were the inspiration of film producer count Alexander 'Sascha' Kolowrat, who had approached Austro-Daimler and Ferdinand Porsche about building a small people's car. But it was Max Sailer who won the production car title in this supercharged Mercedes 28/95 HP.