Daimler made luxury vehicles, with elaborate construction and fine detailing that made them affordable to only the very wealthy. England's King Edward VII favored the 1900 model, and the royal family continued to purchase the vehicles as the designs became more refined. The Landaulette is indeed an English car, first developed in 1896 when the Daimler factory of Coventry, England, began making two-cylinder automobile modeled on the French Panhard. First known for producing sturdy and power vehicles, in 1908 Daimler began to specialize in refined vehicles for discriminating buyers. Daimler designs have stood the company in good stead, for its still producing cars in Coventry.
This 17-foot-long and 7-foot-tall Hooper-built limousine was one of eight Daimlers acquired by King George V between 1909 and 1924. Appreciated for its comfort, quality and dignified appearance, the Daimler 57 H.P. is powered by a 9.4-liter 6-cylinder sleeve-valve engine. This car was donated to the Los Angeles natural History Museum in 1930.