The Alvis Company was formed after the conclusion of the 1914-1918 War and quickly built a reputation for delivering attractive luxury cars fitted with many technological advancements. By the 1950s, they were producing limited numbers of exclusive vehicles based on Graber body designs, with coachwork by the legendary London coachbuilder, Park Ward, and powered by an all-new six-cylinder motor. In the mid-1950s, the first production Avlis styled by the Swiss carrossier Hermann Graber appeared, bringing with it Continental styling and a modern design.
The Park Ward built TD21 was introduced for 1959 and replaced the first Graber-styled coupe, the TC108G. Inside, the TD21 had increased headroom and legroom, especially in the rear. Lockheed servo-assisted disc brakes were now an option, becoming standardized for 1960. Up front were stacked headlights, first seen on Graber's Alvis coupe at the 1963 Geneva Salon.
The TE21 was a development of the TD21 and was introduced in 1963. They had vertically stacked quad headlamps and powered by a 2993cc inline six-cylinder engine with a modified cylinder head and manifold. The engine produced 130 horsepower and was mated to a ZF five-speed manual gearbox or an optional Borg-Warner three-speed automatic. Between 1963 and 1966, Alvis produced just 352 examples of the TE 21. In July of 1965, Alvis was taken over by Rover.
This Alvis was originally delivered to Brooklands of Bond Street on August 6th of 1964. The TE21 was professionally converted to LHD, hen it was purchased from company CEO Rowland Simmons in September of 1966. At that time, it was fitted with electronic ignition, thermostatic engine cooling fan, engine compartment extractor fan, period Reuter reclining seats, inertia reel seat belts (front only), anti-theft device and an upgraded Harvey Bailey Engineering suspension kit comprising thicker front sway bar, rear sway bar and Spax adjustable shock absorbers. The pedals were moved forward a bit to accommodate taller drivers who are also aided by the telescopic steering wheel.
Powering the TE21 is a 2993cc inline six-cylinder engine offering 130 horsepower and mated to a ZF five-speed manual transmission. There is an independent front suspension and four-wheel disc brakes.
In 2012, this Series III Drophead Coupe was offered for sale at RM Auction's Scottsdale, AZ event. It was estimated to sell for $100,000 - $125,000. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $66,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.