As many other luxury automobiles moved to new V-8s and V-12 engines, Pierce-Arrow continued to produce large-displacement sixes through 1927. Their engine featured a T-head engine layout and was produced in several sizes. They were available in 38-, 48- and 66-horsepower variants. In 1918, the 38 and 66 were both discontinued and the 48 was redesigned with dual-valve cylinder heads providing high efficiency with four valves per cylinder. The Dual-Valve Six offered plenty of power and new silence.
This Pierce-Arrow Model 48 was delivered new to Emerson Carey of Hutchinson, Kansas. In 1945, the Pierce was acquired by another individual from Kansas. He spent nearly 30 years restoring it in an old garage in Great Bend. The owner employed skilled workers to create 'the Hope Diamond of antique cars,' covering its aluminum body with 23-karat gold. The entire chassis and the engine are also plated, either gold or nickel. The bonnet and wings are nickeled, and the hickory-spoke artillery wheels are done in 23-karat gold leaf. All the interior fittings are silver plated. The restoration was completed in 1973. In January of 1974, it was given a public debut, displayed in the lobby of the Bank of Engelwood in the Denver, Colorado suburb of that name.
The interior is done in black leather. The dual-valve, six-cylinder, T-head engine displaces 525 cubic-inches and delivers 48 horsepower. There is a three-speed manual gearbox and two-wheel mechanical brakes.
In 2012, this vehicle was offered for sale at RM Auctions sale in Scottsdale, Arizona. It was estimated to sell for $185,000-$225,000. Bidding reached $150,000 but was not enough to satisfy the vehicle's reserve. It would leave the auction unsold.