The French based company, Tracta, produced automobiles from 1926 through 1934. Production was initially low and they were pioneers of front-wheel drive vehicles. The early cars were manufactured in Versailles but Gregoire soon moved to a small factory in Asnieres. Production continued through 1934, but the company was not making money so the decision was made to cease production.
In 1926, Jean Albert Gregorie and his partner, Pierre Fenaille invented the constant velocity (CV) joint, under the name Tracta. The Tracta CV joint was very durable and easily manufactured. Up until this time, front-wheel drive cars were mostly prototypes, built in small quantities and used mostly for competition. Proponents of the new design included Christie, Gregory & Mill in the United States and Alvis and Bucciali in Europe.
This four-cylinder race car is one of two made in 1929, and is the sole survivor. It was Gregorie's personal racecar; he designed it, built it and piloted it. The Tracta raced at Le Mans in 1929 and 1930 and was piloted by Valon and designer Jean Albert Gregoire. It won its class (one-liter class) and seventh overall in 1929. After LeMans, the car continued its racing career all over Europe, including at Francochamps in Belgium and at San Sebastion in Spain.
It was powered by a 45 horsepower engine, but capable of running 90 miles per hour. The four-speed gearbox features an overdrive especially designed for the Le Mans racetrack. It is, of course, front wheel drive.
Excluding paint and tires, the car is entirely original.