Turin, Italy based Siata manufactred parts for Fiat and other makes. It was founded in 1926 by Giorgio Ambrosini and after World War II, the company began producing cars under its own name. Typically the cars used a modified Fiat drivetrain and chassis. Several of the cars were successfully raced in America. Unfortunately, the company ran into financial trouble in the mid-1950s and closed its doors in 1970. The 200 and 208 models were produced from 1952-1954 and came about largely because Siata was able to buy 2.0-liter V-8 powertrains from Fiat (which built another 114 for its own short-lived and ill-fated sports car, the Otto Vu).
This car is one of only 18 Siata coupes powered by the 1996cc Fiat 8V engine capable of producing 110 horsepower. It is one of only 11 bodied by Balbo (the first of the series was completed in early 1952 in time to compete in the Mille Miglia). It was imported into the United States, arriving in New York in 1954, and photographer Robert Grier was its first owner. Two more followed while the car continued to be raced in SCCA events until it found its way to a used car lot in Queens, when the current owner's father purchased it in 1959. It was originally painted dark blue, but was repainted in 1966 and again in 1991. It has also been fitted with a new interior. The odometer reads just 36,000 miles from new.
With a spyder body by Fantuzzi, number 2089 was a private entry in both the 1955 and 1956 Mille Miglia races, finishing 1st in Class (4th overall) and 2nd in Class (56th overall) respectively. Owned and driven by Francesco Giardini, it also competed at other venues in period, such as LeMans, Monza, and the Targa Florio. It is powered by a 2-liter twin cam 6-cylinder engine. In 1959 the car was rebuilt at the Maserati factory in a GT configuration with its present Pininfarina coupe body. It won the Art Center College of Design Award at Pebble Beach in 2005.Also photographed at :