In the Post-War era, civilian vehicle production resumed and light-duty trucks were no exception. Dodge and Ford rolled out new designs for 1948 and Studebaker followed a year later. General Motors had beaten them all to market with the May 1947 release of its new designs. The GMC and its Chevrolet sibling featured smooth styling, 'Unisteel Battleship' construction and improved visibility. The trucks had three inches more shoulder space, had larger cabs that were eight inches wider, and measured a foot longer than before.
This 'five window' truck has been given a complete body-off-frame restoration. The all-steel body is finished in factory-correct Seacrest Green with varnished wooden cargo bed lining. Other features include chrome-plated front and rear bumpers, dual front bumper guards, a fully-chromed grille, dual chrome mirrors, and 16-inch body-color wheels with white striping, chrome trim rings and hubcaps, shod with period style Firestone bias-ply blackwall tires.
The 235 cubic-inch overhead valve six-cylinder engine has a single-barrel carburetor and 92 horsepower. There are four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes and a three-speed manual transmission. The electrical system has been upgraded to 12 volts, a new wiring harness was installed, and a new aluminized exhaust system and a recent tune-up round out the mechanicals.
In 2012, this vehicle was offered for sale at the Amelia Island sale presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $35,000 - $40,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for $33,000 inclusive of buyer's premium.