In 1936 SS Cars Ltd. began producing an open two-seat sports model called the SS Jaguar 100. Along with the saloon (sedan) version, this was the first car to bear the Jaguar name, later adopted for the entire marque.
This car is powered by an overhead-valve, inline, 2663 cubic-inch, 6-cylinder engine producing 102 horsepower. Coupled to the 4-speed transmission, the car has a top speed of 90 mph and sold for about $2,000 in 1936-37.
This car went to Japan in the early 1970s and was initially part of the famed Hayashi Collection. It then moved into one of the Matsuda Auto Museums in Gotimba, Japan, where it was displayed for 25 years without turning a wheel.
The current owner has had the car for over 15 years and has been heavily campaigned in road rallies through the United States, Europe and Asia.