In the early 1930s, Studebaker was on the verge of bankruptcy following a failed merger with the White Motor Company. In early 1933, the company entered receivership. After a massive reorganization, including the divestment of Pierce-Arrow and the termination of the low-priced Rockne line, the company returned to viability. Along with a successful $10 million advertising campaign engineered by new company president Paul G. Hoffman in 1934, Studebaker returned to prosperity. Soon, the company again became America's top independent automaker. With the help of Raymond Loewy, the cars received thoroughly modern styling that included a lower, wider stance, eliminated running boards, inclined die-cast side grilles, an enlarged greenhouse and air vents within the sides of the cowl. The headroom was maintained though the cars were lower in their overall height. All of the Studebakers featured wider, more comfortable seats.
This Commander sedan is a former AACA award-winning example. It was given a comprehensive restoration and includes exterior accessories as period-style amber fog lamps and a spotlight. The blue and white two-tone interior includes an AM radio, a three-spoke steering wheel, seat belts with Studebaker logos, and a heater/defroster.
In 2010, this Studebaker Commander Sedan was offered for sale at the Vintage Motor Cars of Meadow Brook where it was estimated to sell for $10,000 - $15,000 an offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car was sold for the sum of $20,900 including buyer's premium.