The very elegant Chrysler CG Imperial models were introduced in July of 1930 and rode on a massive 145-inch wheelbase. It was a new car that had been completely transformed from the prior models. The radiator shell had become a grille which was positioned at a rakish angle. The forward surface was defined by a wire mesh screen. The fenders had flowing curves and had Duesenberg-style bumpers. The engine was a 384.8 cubic-inch, nine-main bearing unit that offered 125 brake horsepower.
There were four 'production' bodies by Briggs and four cataloged custom styles. Various individual customs for construction were available on the Imperial chassis. LeBaron performed the coachwork for the semi-custom bodies, roadster, coupe, convertible coupe, and the dual-cowl phaeton.
This car was acquired by the current owner in 1986. It has been given a show-quality restoration and painted in dark red with maroon fenders and accented belt moldings. It is one of 85 LeBaron Dual Cowl Phaetons built on the CG chassis in 1931.
In 2008, this Imperial DC Phaeton was offered for sale at the 'Sports & Classics of Monterey' presented by RM Auctions. It was estimated to sell for $400,000 - $500,000 and carried a reserve. A high bid of $310,000 including buyer's premium was enough to establish new ownership. The lot was sold.