Walter P. Chrysler followed a successful career in railroading with a move to Buick and then Willy-Overland. In 1921 he took over the Maxwell Company and in 1924 introduced an all-new car bearing his name. The first Chrysler six was well-engineered and featured four-wheel hydraulic brakes, an uncommon feature at the time, particularly in a moderately priced car. After adding Dodge, Plymouth and DeSoto to the portfolio, Chrysler was ready to move up-market in 1931.
The CG model featured a 384 cubic-inch straight eight-cylinder engine that allowed the car to race from zero-to-sixty in 20 seconds. It could reach 100 mph and cruise comfortably at 90 mph. Riding on a 145 inch wheelbase chassis, it featured curved fenders and a rakish vee'd radiator grille.
This Convertible Victoria was one of only six of this model produced by the Waterhouse coach building company in 1931. Waterhouse was only in business for five years, but produced 300 cars. The price for this car when new was $4,850. It has remained in the same family since 1939.
The Convertible Victoria was coachbuilder Waterhouse's trademark and is notable as one of the earliest American-built bodies to feature European styling. The design was penned by George Weaver and Waterhouse would build approximately 296 bodies, with approximately 251 of those resting on-top of Lincoln, DuPont and Packard chassis. Of 31 Waterhouse bodies built on various chassis, only six or less are believed to have been mated to the CG Imperial.
This example was built on June 15ht of 1931. In 1939, it was in the care of Mr. Calvin Collins of New York who purchased it from McComick Garage. It was used by the Collins family for several years but was almost lost to the scrap drives of World War II. At the insistence of his son Scott, the Imperial was spared, though they did give up the single heaviest piece of metal that could serve as war material - its engine.
The car was placed into storage in the family's barn. In 2009, after being in the family for 70 years, it was purchased from the Collins family by Canadian restorer Richard Grenon.
After the vehicle was restored, the car made its debut at Cincinnati's Ault Park Concours d'Elegance where it won the Early Prewar Best of Class Award, followed by the William K. Victor Best of Show Award. At the Concours d'Elegance of America at St. John's, it was awarded Most Significant Chrysler in Show.
In 2012, this vehicle was offered for sale at RM Auctions sale in Scottsdale, Arizona. It was estimated to sell for $40,000-$60,000. Bidding exceeded those estimates, settling at $96,250, inclusive of buyer's premium.Also photographed at :