The Model M was Henry Ford's most successful model, preceding the famous T. The crank is carried in an upright position, and the water pump is in the front of the radiator. The 149 cubic-inch four-cylinder engine produced between 15-18 horsepower. They had a two-speed planetary transmission and internal expanding brakes. Introduced in 1906, the Model N sold for just $500. These were the first Ford models to be constructed of tough but lightweight vanadium steel and it was also the company's first attempt to employ methods of mass production.
The engine was mounted under the square-shaped hood in front of the driver. The cast-iron flywheel had fan-like spokes and was fitted to the front end of the crankshaft. Top speed was in the neighborhood of 40 mph.
This example was the 'first Ford in Mississippi,' owned new by Dr. Jack Shelby. J.E. Melvin, the grandson of Dr. Shelby, acquired the car and gave it a restoration. Mr. Clyde Ensor, Sr. purchased the car from Mr. Melvin in 1965 and would remain in his collection until coming to auction in 2010.
In 2010, the car was offered for sale at the Vintage Motor Cars of Hershey auction presented by RM Auctions. The car was estimated to sell for $40,000-$60,000 and offered without reserve. As bidding came to a close, the car had been sold for the sum of $27,500 including buyer's premium.