Porsche sub-contracted the construction of the cabriolet bodywork to several different coachbuilders with Reutter undertaking the majority of the orders. Other contributors included Karmann of Osnabruck, Drauz of Heilbronn and d'Ieteren of Brussels.
The 356B was introduced in September of 1959 and brought with it many changes included a one-piec rounded windscreen and 15-inch diameter wheels. The new engine displaced 1600cc and offered more performance over its predecessors. The outward appearance was very similar to the final 356Bs but with a few styling revisions.
This 1965 Porsche 356C is a 'black plate' car which was first owned by Mr. & Mrs. Widmyer in July 1965. The second owner purchased the car in October 1999 and has retained it since that time. In 1988 the engine was rebuilt after having traveled 97,536 miles. In 1990 it was treated to a re-paint and a new top. The car is painted in Signal Red with black leather interior.
In 2007 it was brought to the Bonhams Auction, An Important Sale of Collectors' Motorcars and Automobilia, held at the Quail Lodge Resort & Golf Club in Carmel, California. To date, the car has traveled 120,308 miles. It was sold for a high bid of $75,000 plus premium and taxes.