The 1959 MGA 1500 continued with the same 1489cc engine and still was amiable in either coupe or roadster form. In the spring of 1958, MG made an announcement for a new Twin-Cam version of the MGA. This new version featured a dual-overhead-cam four-cylinder engine with an aluminum-alloy head and a displacement size of 1588cc. Horsepower was rated at 108 with 104 foot-pounds of torque. This was an increase of nearly 40 horsepower over the overhead-valve engine. The DOHC engine had hemispherical combustion chambers, inverted bucket-style tappets, and 80-degree inclined valves. Top speed was achieved at 120 mph.
Though the new engine seemed promising on paper, it would later earn a reputation for its poor reliability and as an oil burner. MG engineers worked to resolve the issue; by the time the teething problems had been resolved, the damage had been done.
The Twin-Cam MGA's came standard with Dunlop disc brakes at all four corners. They had a four-speed manual gearbox, hydraulically-operated clutch, and 4.3:1 final gear ratio.
For 1959, MG sold approximately 17,693 vehicles in the United States. This car is one of 2,111 MGA Twin Cam Roadsters produced from late 1958 to early 1960.
The MGA Twin Cam was produced to compete in the 1.6-liter racing class. The cars featured four-wheel Dunlop disc brakes and Dunlop knock-off pin drive steel wheels. The DOHC engine produced 108 horsepower compared to 68 horsepower in the 1.6-liter pushrod engine. The Twin Cam was raced by the factory at Sebring in 1959. This car has been owned by the current owner since 1978 and has been raced in numerous vintage events since 1984.Also photographed at :